Schulbuch barrierefrei (accessible school books) - Cooperation between Publishers and Service Providers in Austria
Sprache der Bezeichnung:
This project is a cooperation between Austrian school book publishers and service providers for people with special needs which aims at making books available in electronic format.
In this project the following has been established:
1. a minimum set of structural elements which documents from publishers have to contain to make them usable for the production of books in alternative formats (e.g. Braille, large print, ebooks)
2. know-how and handouts for publishers on how to implement structured design with these elements using standard desktop publishing (DTP) systems (InDesign [Indes05], QarkExpress [Quark05])
3. examples new books and redesigning existing books to learn how to do accessible document design in practice
4. training materials, workshops and seminars to transfer the developed know-how to other publishers and design agencies
5. a general agreement which gives the right of transferring books in electronic format to students with disabilities
6. a Document Rights Management System including to prevent the data to be misused in practice
7. a workflow for the co-operation between schools/teachers, service providers, publishers and the ministry.